Sunday, January 23, 2011

Boosting those online Radio figures

At the moment, only 2% of radio listening in the UK is through the PC using software like the BBC iPlayer. This is despite the fact that 75% of UK households have some sort of broadband - certainly broad enough to listen to audio.

Michael Hill leads a cross-industry group that is working on a way to make radio easier to access via the PC platform. Its also going to be important for putting next generation radio players onto the PS3, XBox, and the tablets. In this interview, made at the recent Radio Festival in Salford, UK, I asked Michael Hill what the Radioplayer will mean to all radio stations in the UK (including community and student stations). The good news is that everyone is involved. radioplayer.co.uk is the place to watch for the launch and also to get details of how the radio player design has been thought through.

2 comments:

Jay said...

Hi Jonathan,
Are you saying that it is "disappointing" that only 2% listen to the radio in UK online?

For instance, I have been listening to BBC Radio 2 online since 2005, on the internet. Last year I moved to London and havent since used the internet to listen to Radio 2. Why should I when I get it through the waves? (I play it on my TV.)

Jonathan Marks said...

I think the problem with Internet radio has been the electronic programme guide and its easy of use. I don't think the manufacturers have done enough to make the experience easy - and the broadcasters haven't delivered the metadata to make the programme information a lot clearer. Standards needed here.

ShareThis