Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Norton Symantec Reality Gap


Had to laugh about a promotional offer in my intray today. Even if my PC not only slowed down but went into reverse, I would never dream of calling Symantec's customer service. When I had Norton software, the only advice I ever from from their "experts" was to deinstall-reinstall their software or someone reading from the FAQ's I later discovered on-line. These guys need a serious reality check. Based on past experience, I would never let any of these guys near my PC.

The early days of Norton were great - utilities that defragged the hard disk before they became standard bits of any operating system. But since the take-over by Symantec, Norton AntiVirus & Firewall products have grown like a cancer, more clumsy every year. I had situations were I had subscriptions to virus-prevention updates, but the basic program was no longer compatible. And I couldn't get the on-line forms to recognise a Dutch VAT number. In frustration, I paid the VAT. Pleased I went to Kaspersky instead.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually before they were taken over by Symantec, a long long time ago, they made great software. I've always been very fond of Norton Commander, Norton Utilities and even their first AV software. They improved my PC. It was only later that customer service went out the door, and their programs became so buggy and bloated that not using them actually was better for your PC. A real shame.

Anonymous said...

I had a problem last year when I paid for and installed an upgrade for Norton Internet Security and their server blankly refused to update my subscription. I had some E-mail correspondence with their "help desk", but none of their recommended procedures worked.

In frustration, I uninstalled all Norton products (which itself is a complicated process) and downloaded McAffee Total Protection. So far, I have had no problems with it, it's far less processor-intensive and seems to do the job just as well if not better than Norton, with none of the frustration.

Of course, I have never been able to reclaim the cost of my unused Norton subscription, but I'm just glad to be rid of the thing.

And, like you Jonathan, I can remember the time when Norton made great products. Why do takeovers so often end in tears for everyone except the shareholders?

Anonymous said...

In general your mileage with these products may vary depending on the options you choose. Norton unless you are in an enterprise situation with your own norton server dishing out the updates is a fine product. At home they suck as they never got the XP/Vista thing. Mcafee is fine but depending on the options installed can slow you way down.
I have CA on a laptop that seems to work just fine.

ShareThis